Maintaining good health is important when studying overseas. Australia has one of the world's best health systems. Modern, well-equipped hospitals, medical centres and doctors' offices are located in Sydney and throughout NSW.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

Why do I need OSHC?

Health insurance, called Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), is compulsory for international students studying in Australia. It covers you for certain medical costs if you need to visit a doctor or go to hospital.

You should check the OSHC policy carefully, including the details of what is covered. Extra cover is available for an additional fee.

Serious medical problems should be treated before you come to Australia, because standard OSHC generally does not cover pre-existing medical conditions.

How do I arrange OHSC?

DE International can arrange standard OSHC cover for you with the medical fund insurer, Medibank Private - we invoice you for the insurance payment with your tuition fees. 

Health cover cards will either be posted to your Australian postal address directly from Medibank Private or via DE International. This process may take a few weeks. If you need medical attention before you receive your membership card, you should pay for the service and keep all receipts. You can then claim a refund from Medibank Private when issued with your card.

Ordering a membership card

Medibank logo

In order to start using your Medibank Overseas Student Health Cover when visiting a doctor you will need a valid membership card.

To order it, go to the Medibank Student Registration page and enter and confirm your personal details including your mailing address within Australia.

Once you have completed registration, your OSHC membership card and welcome pack will be sent to you. Print and save your confirmation letter as proof of cover until you receive your membership card. If you are unable to register online call 132 331 or visit a Medibank store.

Go to the Medibank Private website.

Other health information

Illicit drugs

Buying, selling, possessing or using drugs such as marijuana, amphetamines and opiates is illegal in Australia. If you are caught, you could face severe penalties, including fines, imprisonment and even deportation. If your student visa is cancelled, you may find it difficult to get a visa to return to Australia in the future.


If you need to bring any special medication from your home country into Australia, bring your medical records and prescriptions with a letter from your doctor. For more information, visit the Travellers section of the Department of Health - Therapeutic Goods Administration website.

More information about topics related to managing your health in Australia can be found on the Study in Australia website. You can also visit the NSW Health Department website and the Better Health section of the Medibank Private website.


Do you need help?

Ask a question online or contact
DE International or an authorised agent.


Signup for alerts


New South Wales


NSW lies on the east coast of Australia.
Sydney is the state's capital and the largest
city in Australia.

To find a school go to School locations.

image of helpful guide covers

Helpful guides

Guides on living, studying and working in:


ESOS Framework

The Australian Government wants international students to have a safe, enjoyable and rewarding study experience in Australia.

Read more about the ESOS Framework.


Agent search

DE International has a worldwide network of representative agents who can help you complete and submit your application to study.

These representatives must provide you with accurate and up-to date information and advice regarding programs, courses, application procedures, living and studying in Australia. They can also assist with your visa application. If you wish to apply through an agent it is recommended that you use an agent on this list. If you choose to use another agent who is not published on this list, then DE International is not responsible for the accuracy of the advice provided to you.

If you have any concerns with regard to the service provided by our agent representatives, please contact us.


We are a proud representative of Australian Government Schools International (AGSI), a collaborative association of government schools with international student programs.

Australian Government Schools International logo