Accommodation and welfare

Students under 18 years of age

International students under 18 must have suitable accommodation and welfare arrangements while they are studying in Australia. Options include:

Annual living costs have been estimated at A$20,290 by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). Note: this may be subject to change.

Living with parents or relatives approved by DIBP

Primary school (kindergarten to year 6)

Students enrolling for kindergarten to year 4 must have a parent living with them at all times. Students in years 5 and 6 can live with a parent or a suitable relative. Note: older siblings on student visas will not be approved for primary school.

Secondary high school (years 7 to 12)

Students may live with a parent or DIBP-approved relative. This relative must agree to undertake carer responsibilities. International students enrolling for year 7 and year 8 are required to live with a DIBP-approved relative. The relative must:

  • be a resident of NSW
  • be over 21 years of age
  • be able to remain in Australia until the student is 18 years of age
  • obtain an Australian Federal Police clearance.

Parents must provide DIBP with suitable proof that the relative is related to the student.

Living with parent-nominated homestay

Parents of students enrolling for years 9 - 12 may nominate for their child to live with close family friends or distant relatives. Please read the information below.

  • Accommodation and living arrangements must meet our minimum Homestay Standards (pdf 110 KB).
  • Parents must complete a Parent Nomination for Homestay form (pdf 110 KB) - please allow six weeks for processing.
  • We will issue a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) for your child's visa.
  • The person nominated to provide accommodation, and all family members aged over 18 years, must each complete a Working with Children Check.
  • Once the nominated homestay meets all requirements we will approve arrangements.
  • The nominated Homestay parent becomes the carer for the student.
  • A parent nomination for homestay fee of A$330 applies.

Living in homestay arranged by DE International

We can place students in years 9 to 12 in approved homestay accommodation. Please note:

  • students in homestay have their own bedroom and study desk, and share a bathroom.
  • the homestay family provides 2 meals a day on weekdays, and 3 meals a day on weekends.
  • The homestay parent becomes the carer
  • Homestay is arranged through independent providers who have agreements with us to provide quality service
  • Homestay providers regularly inspect homestay accommodation
  • We will issue the Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) to DIBP so that DIBP can issue a visa
  • Homestay providers arrange for everyone living at the homestay to complete a Working With Children Check
  • Parents may request a different homestay family
  • Homestay costs range from A$285 to A$330 per week, and are subject to change at the discretion of the provider
  • Homestay placement fee is A$330.

Download the Homestay Providers list (pdf 70 KB)

Students over 18 years

Students over 18 years of age should remain in homestay accommodation or continue to live with their relatives until they finish high school.

  • We may contact parents to approve any changes to students' living arrangements
  • Details of an adult contact person who can also be present at enrolment interviews and available in case of emergencies must be provided to us by the student or parents
  • Annual living costs have been estimated at A$20,290 by the DIBP.

Carer responsibilities

The carer is responsible for:

  • maintaining regular contact with the student and liaising with the school, homestay host and parents
  • ensuring the student has a minimum of 80% school attendance (in line with student visa regulations)
  • notifying DE International, the school coordinator and DIBP in writing of any changes in address or living arrangements within seven days. If the student is under 18 and we approve the accommodation and welfare arrangements, then written approval must be obtained prior to the change of arrangement
  • contacting the parents and school coordinator in case of an accident, serious illness or medical emergency
  • assisting the student to seek necessary medical attention and obtain proper medical certificates in case of absence from classes
  • informing the parents promptly in the event of any problems
  • contacting the school coordinator requesting leave for the student for any appointments, specifying the dates and times of their absence
  • liaising with the school coordinator concerning student behaviour, conduct or any issues that may affect the student's progress
  • attending school meetings deemed necessary by the Principal on behalf of the parents
  • assisting the student to abide by school and visa requirements
  • taking responsibility for the student's welfare and supervision outside of school hours.

Important information


School locations

Search for NSW government primary and high schools available for enrolment by international students or temporary residents:

Find out more about studying at a NSW government school

Accommodation and welfare

Pre-departure Guide

Our pre-departure guide is full of information about living and studying in New South Wales. Students receive a username and password with their CoE and are encouraged to login and complete quizzes.


Do you need help?

Ask a question online or contact
DE International or an authorised agent
for help with choosing a school or enrolling.




International Student Guide
Study Abroad Brochure
School Profiles
Application Form

See more and translated documents


Signup for alerts


Agent search

DE International has a worldwide network of representative agents who can help you complete and submit your application to study.

These representatives must provide you with accurate and up-to date information and advice regarding programs, courses, application procedures, living and studying in Australia. They can also assist with your visa application. If you wish to apply through an agent it is recommended that you use an agent on this list. If you choose to use another agent who is not published on this list, then DE International is not responsible for the accuracy of the advice provided to you.

If you have any concerns with regard to the service provided by our agent representatives, please contact us.

Accommodation and welfare


ESOS Framework

The Australian Government wants international students to have a safe, enjoyable and rewarding study experience in Australia.

Read more about the ESOS Framework.


We are a proud representative of Australian Government Schools International (AGSI), a collaborative association of government schools with international student programs.

Australian Government Schools International logo